Chicken Soup feeds the soul as well as your whole family 🙂
A recipe I have been making for over 14 years and it is still one of my favorites.
GASP – 14 years? I just had a flashback of making this soup when I was pregnant with my 13 year old. How. Is. It. Possible?
The recipe: Total time 20-45 minutes…..
- 2 TB olive Oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 8-10 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken – COOKED (I grab one from Publix or Walmart in a plain seasoning flavor, Lemon Pepper or Mojo works good, BBQ not so much)
- 1 box Wild Rice Mix WITH seasoning packet – Fast Cook Version* if you can find it, otherwise the regular will do
- 1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
- Directions –
Pour the Olive Oil into a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onions and carrots until the onions are translucent. Add in the 8 cups chicken broth, if you want to add two more cups feel free. Sometimes I want the soup to be more “soupy” so I’ll add a little more liquid. You can also use half water and half broth. This recipe is so easily adjustable.
- While your waiting for the broth to boil, pull chicken from bones and shred into the broth. I usually get my hands all in it, kinda mashing and shredding the chicken. I USE ALL THE MEAT. WHITE AND DARK! To me, it adds to the flavor of the soup.
- Once all the meat is all shredded and added to the broth mixture, and you have a nice boil going add in the seasoning packet. Let that boil for a couple minutes while you stir to make sure it’s all incorporated and doesn’t clump up.
- Add in the rice and reduce temp after it comes back up to a boil.
- At this point, follow the cooking directions on the rice box. If you were able to find the Fast Cook version – YAY – cover & cook for 5 minutes. Otherwise follow the instructions, typically cover and cook for 20 minutes. Not earth shattering but we are LIMITED on TIME HERE!!!! Must be QUICK to be “the quickest”!!
- Last step is to add the can of cream of chicken soup and stir occasionally as it simmers for another 5 min or so. You want to make sure it mixes in completely and doesn’t hang out in globs, clumps, chunks, ok you get the drift.
Stand back and observe the amazing goodness you just prepared…… Ah, so good!
Top it with some hot sauce if you like and maybe a cracker or slice of sourdough bread and savor the yumminess! I like to add a couple dashes of my favorite hot sauce, Frank’s.
You’re welcome 😉
PS: Perfect Freezer meal once you let it cool enough. AND……. This recipe feeds my family of 7 with some leftover. Score.